Monday, October 26, 2009

The Surround

So my first project attempt was a bust. I had technical problems with the execution. I've switched my thinking to work on a new slip casting project, but I think I have revised my plan for my original idea, which now also will involve slip casting.
I found this outdoor installation piece entitled "Garden" by Mary Mckenzie. The ambiguous flower forms speak to the flower slip-cast forms that I am currently working on.
Also her use of glass in the pieces is quite beautiful and might be something that I am interested in experimenting with in my forms.
Dreams...
I don't really remember too much from my dreams, usually it's more like a lingering feeling of some sort that I remember. For example I have this one dreams that I kind of remember because I think that It's been recurring that's why it feels so familiar. I am standing on grass in one spot and it feels like I've been there forever kind of like I'm stuck and then I start sinking, deeper and deeper. I try to grab onto things to pull myself out but they just keep breaking. And just when I give up and suffocation seems inevitable I fall out of the sinking earth and find myself standing in the same spot when the dream started. Then I wake up. Wierd.
Visual Memories...
Like I said earlier I live at the beach in the summer. I like to think that I have a very intimate relationship with the ocean. It has magical calming and relaxation powers! Sometimes when I'm upset I like to meditate and think of the smell of the salt air and the water lapping against the sand. The feel of the water when it rushes up and meets your toes for the first time or how it ripples between your fingers as you run them through the waves. It's interesting how retrieving what are visual memories brings other sensory triggers like touch and smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment